Tuesday, October 16, 2007

West Highland Way (Part Seven).

Half way up the glen at Derrydaroch – a small farm where I stopped for lunch sitting by the river. From here the way crossed the river and continued on a much better path. After a further mile I had to cross first the railway and then the A82 road. I say cross but on both occasions the path went under by way of low narrow tunnels rather than over the obstacles. Again this brought even further improvement under foot, I was now walking on a good path to a forest at the head of the glen. Shortly before entering the forest I looked back to see some other walkers and although they were quite some way behind I could see one solitary walker a short way in front of three others. I assumed that the three were the action men from yesterday although they never got close enough for me to confirm this.

The path beside the river Falloch just beyond Derrydarach, (42.5 miles).

The next part of the way was through a young forest which at first gave views of Crainlarich and on up the Strath Fillan towards Tyndrum which was to be tonight’s resting place.
Looking to Tyndrum, (45.5 miles).
I was really enjoying the walking today, especially the walk down in to Tyndrum – it was nearly all down hill on a good path. That’s not to say I hadn’t enjoyed the walk up to this point because I had but in a different sort of way. The first two days had been a slog, there was no two ways about it. But I know by now that its always like this in the beginning while the body gets used to a different way of life.
The river Falloch from Auchreach, (3:42pm).
Goats at St Fillans
From now on I knew it would be easier, I felt good as I strode out down a good path into Strath Fillan and on past the ruins of St Fillan’s chapel and so on in to Tyndrum.
The ruins of St Fillan's chapel.
To enter the campsite I had chosen you have to first cross over a small river by way of a wooden bridge. Just as I was about to do this I noticed something on a big old log a few yards on up the way. On investigation I discovered much to my surprise that it was another note from Fallon, this turned out to the most memorable thing about my visit to Tyndrum.

The tree with a message.
Whilst the campsite was not bad it wasn’t that good either. The surface was very stony which made getting the tent pegs in a nightmare. I’d booked in and was pitching my tent by 5:15pm which just goes to show how difficult yesterday had been. Today I’d completed more or less the same distance but in three hours less time plus more rest breaks along the way.
Tyndrum campsite, (4:45pm - 52 miles).


Blogger Jeanette said...

G'day Bob, Ive got my cuppa,Im enjoying this hike so much and such beatiful scenery on the way.How did Fallons messages get there before you?, Is The main rd near the walking path.
take care... Jen

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home