Monday, January 01, 2007

Note 'Walking Into A New Life'.

The story below, 'Walking Into A New Life' was written 18 years ago shortly after the walk was completed. I won't give any details here but will explain that it was not only my first walk in Scotland but my first ever visit there so everything was quite a novelty to me. I realise that in places I talk about walkers not being in abundance and compared to where I come from that is still true to some extent but there are more walkers visiting Scotland than I was aware of at the time, just that they are so obvious due to the extent of the wilderness. No doubt there are local people who think that they are over run by tourists but compared to the Peak District where I came from Scotland at the time felt deserted. Also I talk about Kinlochbervie not being somewhere you would want to stay. At the time of this walk the place was a mess due to a lot of work being done in the village and docks. I've been back many times since and it is very pleasant. If anyone should want details of anything they see leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer. This story is going to be posted in several parts over the coming week so if its not all there when you visit pop back in a couple of days for the next instalment which will follow on from the bottom of the last post so be sure to keep on scrolling down.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I think you have piqued my interest... I will start now and have no doubt that I will be back!

Take care!

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see good photos accompanying the story and amazing how places can change, sometimes for the better, over time.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Forgetmenot said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and nice to see your own pics and read your stories, including the familiar unwanted lift!! The scenery over on that part of the west coast is truly spectacular, with such drama to walk through (or over if you are so inclined). Looks like you're making a huge difference in the garden, keep up the good work. Elizabeth

9:31 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Hey Bob, thanks for visiting my blog and the great herb advice! I will definitely be walking the Kinder Edges this year sometime. I am just getting into hiking now, so slowly building up my stamina, its hard going but well worth it. I love Scotland, so will be reading all the posts below. My younger sister lives in Brora, did you head past that way?

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home